Cancer Research UK Cardiff (Canton)
152 Cowbridge Rd E, Pontcanna, Cardiff CF11 9ND
Tel: 029 2066 4709
Volunteer in our shops
Our?shop volunteers?are?helping us beat cancer right now.??
In 2019/20, 14,000 volunteers gave 3.1 million hours of their time and sold items totalling £15million.?These funds are helping us start new clinical trials and research treatments as we speak.?
If you?volunteer?at a Cancer Research UK shop,?you too could make a?real difference to what we can achieve.?Nothing we do would be possible without?amazing volunteers?like you.?
You’ll also?gain valuable skills to help develop your CV and experience.?And you’ll volunteer alongside a wonderful team of passionate, friendly people?who will support you?every step of the way.?
Volunteering is open to everyone and no experience is required.?So,?if you’re looking for a new challenge, we’d love to hear from?you.?
What do shop volunteers do??
Volunteering in our shops is varied, exciting and rewarding. No two days are the same and you have the chance to flex different skills regularly. There are always new opportunities to keep you engaged and help you grow and develop in your role.?
While this list is not exhaustive, it gives you a flavour of some of the typical tasks in our charity shops, and roles can be flexible to suit you:?
- Sorting through donated items and pricing stock?
- Gaining an awareness and understanding of KPIs (optional)
- Interacting with volunteers from a range of backgrounds
- Serving customers, taking?cash?and providing good all-round customer service?
- Working on window and shop displays?
- Keeping the shop tidy, clean and well organised?
- Interacting with the general public?
- Attending fundraising events at local supermarkets
- Setting up fundraising initiatives such as prize draws, sponsored events
- Following health and safety measures?
You don’t need any experience to volunteer?
You just need to be?motivated,?hardworking and enjoy being part of a team. There’ll be a full induction as well as ongoing training opportunities to make sure you’re fully confident and able to excel in your role.?
Volunteering brings a wealth of benefits, both personal and professional.??
- Every volunteer hour?you?donate means we can sell 6 items and make £20 of income. So,?if you volunteer for a 4?-hours a week, this can generate £80.?That means that?every?day, we’ll be raising more funds to beat cancer.??
- You’ll gain?important skills that are hugely valued in the workplace such as teamwork, communication and using your initiative.?
- You can boost your CV,?and?we'll provide you with a reference.?
- It will allow you to get involved in your local community and to meet new friends.?
- Our friendly?CRUK?team will be there to support?you all the way – offering guidance and helping you build your confidence.?
- It’s fun – you’ll gain real satisfaction from?volunteering?alongside our warm, friendly shop volunteers who will make you feel right at home.
The minimum age for volunteering in our shops is 18?. If?you’re aged?between 16 -18 you may still be able to volunteer in our?shops,?but you must be on a recognised scheme, for example the Duke of Edinburgh.?