Cardiff Met Students’ Union believe all forms of harassment within our university and at events should be challenged and not tolerated. Whether based on gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability, medical condition, ethnicity, age, or any other characteristic, we work closely with students to reduce and resolve issues. As a Union, we endeavour to uphold relations with local and national organisations to deliver a campaign that empowers students to understand their rights.
Our Zero Tolerance campaign aims to tackle all levels of harassment at Cardiff Met. We are committed to creating a safe environment for students. Anyone can be a victim of harassment. Don’t be afraid or ashamed to report it to us.
Harassment is a pattern of behaviour that is unwelcome and has the effect of violating a person’s dignity or of creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for them.
We believe all students should be able to enjoy university life without experiencing harassment, however, if you feel you have been harassed in any way, we have a team in place to help resolve the matter. Please contact our Student Advisor, Alison at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and advice.
Fascism, racism, LGBT phobia, sexism, ageism and discrimination are all strands of thought and oppression within society which seeks to divide people. As a Students’ Union it is our job to represent all students and to attempt to unite students against these attacks. It is the job of the Students' Union executive to educate members on the need to oppose discrimination and thence the need for a ‘No Platform Policy’ subject to existing University Polices. Students' Unions should be safe spaces for all and we should be making sure we are a safe space by not allowing those who wish to marginalise the oppressed onto our events. The Students' Union also recognises that a No Platform Policy only works where such groups do not have a platform already – as such whilst we do not permit these individuals or organisations into our events, nor will we share a platform with them; turning down the opportunity of challenging their views in places where they do have a platform.
1) This Union believes
- That, racism, LGBT phobia, sexism, ageism and discrimination are still widespread in all aspects of society and should be confronted wherever they are found.
- That students and students’ unions have a long proud record of achievement in the fight against, racism, LGBT phobia, sexism, ageism and discrimination.
- That, subject to the university’s equal opportunities, and associated policies, the union should be at the forefront of campaigns to combat prejudice on the form of ethnic origin, religious belief, sexuality, gender, disability or age and that we should not allow these practices within any of our Student Societies, including the practice of single sex segregation (within existing Equality Legislation).
- That a No Platform Policy is a key element in the fight against intolerance on campus.
- That the No-Platform Policy compliments the university equal opportunities, and associated policies, Equality Legislation and the Public Order Act.
- That no platform policies safeguard its members from being subjected to the lies, bigotry and hatred.
2) This Union commits:
- Not to allow any individual who is known to hold, racist, LGBT phobic, sexist, ageist and discriminatory views from accessing students union events or societies (Subject to existing University Policies and Equality Legislation).
- Not to allow any individual who is known to hold racist, LGBT phobic, sexist, ageist or discriminatory views to speak at a union event and that we will not allow these practices within any of our Student Societies, including the practice of single sex segregation (subject to existing University policies and Equality Legislation).
- Not to allow any individual who is known to hold, racist, LGBT phobic, sexist, ageist or discriminatory views to distribute any written or recorded material in the union which expresses those views.
- No elected officer of the union will speak on a platform with an individual who is known to hold racist, LGBT phobic, sexist, ageist or discriminatory views.
- That resolutions ‘a to d’ shall be known as the unions ‘No Platform Policy’, and that this motion, including preamble, shall be presented to those questioning the policy as an initial explanation.
- To widely publicise this policy, not only to members but to all stakeholders.
- To incorporate the No Platform Policy into the Union’s disciplinary procedure and use it accordingly.
- To mandate the executive to educate members on the issues surrounding the No Platform Policy.
Cardiff Met Students’ Union is pleased to launch its ‘Cardiff Met Safe Taxi’ scheme in association with Dragon Taxis. The scheme is designed to be an emergency safeguard for students who are stuck in Cardiff with no way to get home. The scheme, active between 10pm and 6am every day aims to ensure that all Cardiff Met students have a way to return home safely at the end of the night, allowing them to book a taxi using just their full name and student card. Full details of the scheme can be found at www.dragontaxis.com/students.
Students are reminded that this is an emergency scheme and all fares should be repaid to the Students’ Union within 7 days of the journey.