<<Back to Advice & Support

Academic support


The SU advice and support service is here to ensure students are informed and supported through any situation. What we can do:

  • Help students understand the university process/procedure they are undertaking
  • Help students present their case (through statements/evidence)
  • Provide one-to-one pastoral support and representation in meetings/committees
What we cannot do:
  • Change a university outcome
  • Stop a procedure from taking its course
  • Influence the timescales outlined in a procedure
  • Act as legal representatives (our work is in a purely advisory capacity)
If you have any questions please contact suadvice@cardiffmet.ac.uk


The Students’ Union is a separate organisation to the university. We offer independent and impartial advice and have the students' best interests at heart.

In the first instance we would ask for you to give us an overview of the situation and provide any relevant background information and evidence.

We would then talk you though all options available to you to try and resolve the issue.

In some cases the university decision will remain the same, we will then help the student understand the reasoning behind this and support them through the situation the best we can.

The SU can advise the best way for you to fill in any documents required when undergoing a university procedure.

We would advise students on the content and how to gather evidence. We are also available to check forms and statements before it is submitted to the university.

We ask students to attempt getting all information down on paper before coming to us as it will help us develop and strengthen your information even further.

We cannot complete forms on a student’s behalf.

The Vice President of the Students’ Union offers one-to-one pastoral support to any students’ undergoing any university procedure. They are there to ensure a student’s wellbeing and opinion is supported during any meeting or committee you are required to attempt.

The Vice President is also able to attend committee meetings on a student’s behalf if there are mitigating circumstances which means you are unable to attend.

You can contact SUadvice@cardiffmet.ac.uk if you require a representative or wish to discuss this support further.


Step By Step Guide